T. Michael Blake
Shareholder, Practice Group Leader
Mike Blake’s practice is focused on tax and transaction planning and implementation for corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and individuals. Mike’s experience and expertise have earned him inclusion in Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America (business organizations; closely held companies and family businesses law; corporate law; mergers and acquisitions law; tax law; trusts and estates; venture capital law) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers. Mike was also named by Best Lawyers as the “Oklahoma City Business Organizations Lawyer of the Year” for 2022, “Oklahoma City Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year” for 2016 and 2020 and “Oklahoma City Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Lawyer of the Year” for 2019. He currently serves as leader of the firm’s Tax & Family Wealth Group.
Mike has worked on numerous highly complex transactions affecting a wide variety of business interests, including the energy industry, private equity, advanced manufacturing, the food industry and the healthcare industry. In addition to structuring investments in, and acquisitions and dispositions of, entities and assets in tax-efficient transactions, he represents owners and entities in negotiating the terms of the resulting transactions. He also has experience in structuring private equity transactions to meet business objectives while qualifying for state and federal tax incentives. Mike’s practice also involves investments in, financing of, and acquisitions and divestitures of oil and gas assets.
Mike regularly advises owners and entities with regard to tax and other issues as outside general counsel.
Mike also structures tax-deferred (Section 1031) exchanges of property, including real estate, oil and gas interests, and aircraft. In addition to structuring forward like-kind exchanges, he has also structured numerous reverse and “build-to-suit” exchanges.
In addition to his tax practice, Mike is actively involved with Oklahoma Lawyers for Children, a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to use the time, talent and resources of qualified pro bono lawyers and other volunteers to represent and assist deprived, abused and neglected children in the Juvenile Division of the Oklahoma County District Court.
In 2009, he was honored with the organization’s prestigious Mona Lambird Service to Children Award for outstanding service by a volunteer attorney.
Mike has previously served on McAfee & Taft’s board of directors.Download Bio (PDF)
- Advising energy industry and oil and gas clients on tax and other matters.
- Counsel to buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions, including tax-free reorganizations.
- Counsel to private equity investors and private equity funds.
- Income tax planning.
- Planning for acquisition, financing and disposition of oil and gas assets.
- Joint ventures to develop oil and gas leashold.
- Tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service, especially regarding oil and gas tax issues.
- Acquisition and divestiture of real estate.
- Real estate development and redevelopment projects.
- Tax-deferred exchanges.
- Structuring private equity transactions to qualify for tax incentives, including New Markets Tax Credits and various state tax incentives.
- Company reorganizations and restructurings, including spin-offs, split-offs and split-ups under Section 355 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Honors and Awards
- Listed in the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (business organizations; closely held companies and family businesses law; corporate law; merger and acquisitions law; tax law; trusts and estates; venture capital law)
- Named “Oklahoma City Business Organizations Lawyer of the Year” for 2022, “Oklahoma City Mergers and Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year” for 2016 and 2020 and “Oklahoma City Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Lawyer of the Year” for 2019 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Honored with Oklahoma Lawyers for Children’s Mona Lambird Service to Children Award (2009)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Oklahoma Lawyers for Children (Board Member and Volunteer)
- Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence (Board of Trustees)