Tim Spencer is a trial lawyer whose state and federal practice encompasses a broad range of commercial and tort matters, including those involving complex business litigation, personal injury, products liability, professional liability, and insurance defense. He has developed hands-on experience in all aspects of civil litigation while representing clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of contexts, including breach of contract, personal injury (transportation), construction, products liability, and professional negligence.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 2019, Tim practiced at a smaller Tulsa-based law firm, where he handled all aspects of general civil litigation, from pre-litigation to trial, and focused his practice primarily on large trucking/transportation defense. He continues to devote a significant portion of his practice to defending transportation and trucking companies and automobile insurance carriers and their insureds against claims of personal injury and negligence arising from motor vehicle accidents.Download Bio (PDF)
Business Disputes and Commercial Litigation:
- Obtained complete defense ruling at trial for one of the nation’s largest healthcare systems on claims of tortious interference and fraud related to the purchase of a new hospital system.
- Removed and subsequently obtained dismissal, via a 12(b)(6) motion, in the Eastern District of Oklahoma for a client on claims of breach of contract and fraud in relation to a land lease agreement.
- Successfully represented a large real estate acquisitions group in its recovery of damages for fraudulent dealings in the purchase of rural Oklahoma real estate.
- Obtained summary judgment for the defense and counterclaims for a local ranch on claims of breach of contract and fraud. The ruling provided the client with judgment in the entirety of damages claimed, plus attorney’s fees.
- Obtained favorable result for national environmental firm on claims of breach of contract, conversion and fraud in relation to a half a million-dollar sale of equipment.
- Obtained reversal and remand from the Oklahoma Supreme Court on defendant’s motion to stay proceedings and compel arbitration.
Personal Injury and Transportation Defense:
- Obtained sanctions against plaintiff and subsequent dismissal of claims on behalf of Global 500 beverage company involved in a transportation accident.
- Obtained favorable result for client and insurance company in the defense of motor vehicle accident involving punitive damage exposure.
- Obtained partial summary judgment for client in the defense of claims that an off-duty employee was in the course and scope of employment at the time of a motor vehicle accident. The court agreed the individual was not in the course and scope of employment, which severally limited the plaintiff’s claims against our client.
- Obtained dismissal for a Fortune 100 transportation company on premises claim that its parking lot was constructed in such a manner that it caused a motor vehicle accident.
- Obtained jury verdict on behalf of a plaintiff in a slip-and-fall case against a large convenience store chain.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Operation Aware of Oklahoma (Board Member)
- Tulsa Young Professionals