Todd Court’s practice encompasses a variety of areas, with a primary focus in litigation that includes representing clients in labor and employment matters, commercial disputes, real state disputes, partnership disputes, and disputes concerning unfair competition.
Todd’s labor practice involves representing employers in negotiating collective bargaining agreements, representing employers in grievance arbitration, and advising employers regarding the requirements of the National Labor Relations Act, the Labor Management Relations Act, and Oklahoma’s Fire and Police Arbitration Act. He also represents employers accused of violating such acts in court, in arbitrations, or in proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board and Oklahoma’s Public Employees Relations Board.
As part of his employment practice, Todd advises clients on their responsibilities under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Oklahoma Anti-Discrimination Act, Fair Labor Standards Act and the Oklahoma Wage Act, and represents employers in litigation who have been accused of violating such laws.
Todd further advises and represents clients regarding the protection of confidential information and/ or trade secrets, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, fiduciary duties, unfair competition, deceptive trade practices, unfair business practices, and antitrust issues. He regularly drafts agreements to protect employers’ interests with respect to such matters.
Todd’s commercial litigation practice regularly involves representing clients in commercial disputes between businesses as well as disputes between related parties arising under shareholder agreements, operating agreements, and partnership agreements.
In litigation involving real estate matters, Todd represents clients in landlord-tenant disputes, construction disputes, property disputes, and lawsuits brought under Oklahoma Residential Property Condition Disclosure Act. He also drafts real estate-related transactional documents.
A portion of his practice is also devoted to providing clients consolation with respect to business transactions, evaluating rights and obligations under agreements, drafting agreements, and strategizing with clients on how to avoid litigation and resolve disputes.
Todd’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America (employment law-management; labor law-management) and Benchmark Litigation.Download Bio (PDF)
- Lead counsel in a lawsuit representing an oil and gas company that specializes in manufacturing and leasing rotating heads. The client commenced claims against eight defendants, including the client’s former vice president, secretary and director, and the client’s former exclusive distributor in the Permian Basin in Texas as well as its owners. After a three-week trial, obtained jury verdicts in the aggregate amount of approximately $6 million for breach of fiduciary duties, breach of confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement, breach of employment agreement, tortious interference with contracts, conversion, deceptive trade practices, fraud, defamation, breach of lease, and failure to pay on an open account. Successfully defended against claim by the former COO that the company owed him approximately $250,000 in unpaid wages.
- As lead counsel, currently defending a major construction client in a lawsuit brought by approximately 65 former union employees who claimed they were unlawfully blacklisted from future employment with other potential employers in violation of Oklahoma law. Defending, in part, on the grounds that the claims are preempted by the National Labor Relations Act and Labor Management Relations Act.
- Obtained multiple summary judgment dismissals on claims asserted by former employees claiming race, sex and age discrimination.
- Obtained numerous dismissals of grievances claiming wrongful discipline or discharge without cause under collective bargaining agreements, or grievances claiming the employer violated the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Obtained favorable settlements for multiple clients asserting claims for breach of Oklahoma Residential Property Condition Disclosure Act and defective construction.
- Obtained favorable buy-out of a manager breaching duties owed to a limited liability company, which resulted in savings to the client in the approximate amount of $1 million from a prior offer made to purchase the partner’s interest.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a large manufacturer against a subcontractor in a lawsuit resulting from a fire that destroyed a substantial portion of the client’s manufacturing facility.
Honors and Awards
- Named a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (employment law — management; labor law – management)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association