Tracy Poole is an accomplished lawyer and former corporate executive whose more than 20 years of broad-based experience in the business community have included serving as outside counsel to various energy and power companies while in private practice, as corporate counsel to a leading energy marketing and trading company, as general counsel of an energy-focused hedge fund, and most recently as a founding partner and leader of three private exploration and production companies and two midstream natural gas storage development project companies. He has also been active in the management of several portfolio companies, having previously served on their boards of directors. Not only does Tracy understand the unique issues associated with managing business opportunities, but he is well-regarded for his ability and willingness to draw from his hands-on leadership, operational and legal experiences and insights to add meaningful value to client relationships.
Tracy’s practice encompasses the areas of venture capital and capital markets, energy and natural resources law, energy litigation, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, business formation and organization, regulatory compliance, contracting, corporate governance and compliance, financing, and securities law. He has specific experience with matters involving the management and operations of energy assets; acquisition and divesture of upstream assets; debt financing, including senior secured, senior unsecured, mezzanine and reserved-based facilities; development and management of investment funds; management of private equity investments; acquisition of equity securities; structured swaps and options; joint venture agreements; development of natural gas storage facilities; and the negotiation of a multitude of contracts, including long-term power, transmission and distribution, tolling, joint development, power plant development, construction and engineering, and gathering, processing and joint use agreements. Additionally, Tracy has held FINRA series 7 and 63 securities licenses and is skilled in the negotiation and preparation of OTC derivatives transactions.
Tracy also represents clients involved in the field of renewable energy and chairs the firm’s Renewable & Sustainable Energy Industry Group.
Tracy’s achievements have earned him inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (energy law).Download Bio (PDF)
- Represented Royal Mfg Co, one of the nation’s leading manufacturers and marketers of lubricants and greases, in the sale of its operating assets and real estate in Texas and Oklahoma to an affiliate of Europe-based AXEL Christiernsson.
- Represented a diversified marketing consulting firm in formation and venture capital financing.
- Representing a leading commercial real estate developer with respect to project and private equity financing.
- Representing a large commercial bank with respect to its energy financing facilities.
- Representing a real estate investor group with acquisition, financing (equity and debt), and divestiture work on major projects in the Midwest.
- Representing a leading renewable energy developer on the nation’s largest wind generation project.
- Startup and venture capital work for multiple new companies in the tech, energy and real estate markets.
- Represented energy marketer in five 15-year full requirements wholesale power transactions with electric cooperatives in Georgia with total notional value in excess of $2 billion.
- Represented Progress Energy in full requirements wholesale power transactions with an association of 15 Georgia electric cooperatives with notional value in excess of $5 billion and related transmission and distribution arrangements.
- Acquisition of equity securities and anchor joint venture arrangement involving a natural gas and power online trading exchange for physical and financial commodity products and derivatives.
- Represented a large hedge fund providing support for all contracting requirements related to its energy products trading desk.
- Represented a large hedge fund in numerous total return swaps and acquisition of retail energy marketer.
- Represented a telecommunications company as buyer in a nationwide electricity procurement effort for more than 200 point-of-presence service locations.
- Formation and representation of a market-leading private wealth management company.
- Represented a multi-facility outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation provider with all corporate, financing, acquisition and contracting matters.
- Represented a hedge fund in the creation of structured power and natural gas products.
- Represented an integrated recreation company in the sale of a distinct sporting goods brand.
- Represented a large sporting goods retailer in the acquisition of a fishing tackle line and related brands.
- Formed a hedge fund specializing in trading financial energy products and related master trading agreement book.
- Represented an energy marketer in the private use of a public generation facility through defeasance of public bonds used to finance the facility.
- Represented a midstream company in the acquisition of a local natural gas distribution company.
- Represented an energy marketer in framework and risk design to enable trading of credit derivatives and other financial energy products.
- Represented numerous energy entities in various formation, financing, governance and contract issues.
- Numerous acquisitions and divestitures in the upstream business with a total value in excess of $2 billion.
- Represented natural gas storage operator in development of 20 Bcf salt dome natural gas storage project.
- Performed as general counsel for an upstream operator with annual drilling budgets in excess of $30 million/year.
- Principal in securing $500 million debt facility consisting of syndicated senior and junior tranches and related reserve-based lending facility.
- Principal in securing a $50 million mezzanine financing facility involving the conveyance of a convertible royalty interest.
- Principal in sale of $85 million natural gas gathering and processing system to an international midstream company, and the negotiation of ancillary gathering, process and joint use agreements.
- Represented producers in disputes with commodity buyers and gathering companies.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (energy law)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association
- Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners Association
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Oklahoma State University Foundation (Board of Governors, 2017—2023)
- Dean’s Council, Oklahoma State University Spears College of Business
- Dean’s Leadership Circle, University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Commerce Bancshares, Inc. (Oklahoma Market Advisory Board)
- Global Organization for Organ Donation (Founding Member, Board of Directors)