Tyler Ames is a civil litigator whose practice focuses on representing clients in a broad range of commercial and complex business disputes. His practice includes the representation of energy industry clients in a broad range of oil and gas litigation, the defense of manufacturers and distributors in products liability litigation, the representation of clients in securities litigation, and the defense of insurance companies in claims and coverage disputes, as well as claims of bad faith.
Tyler graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in political science from Oklahoma State University in 2015 and went on to earn his Juris Doctor from The University of Texas School of Law in 2019. While in law school, he was a member of the Texas Law Review and The Review of Litigation, served as moot court director for the Board of Advocates, and represented clients as a student attorney in both the Supreme Court Clinic and the Children’s Rights Clinic. He also worked as an intern for the Honorable Jan Soifer of the 345th Civil District Court in Travis County, Texas.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 2021, the Oklahoma native worked as a litigation associate in the Houston office of Norton Rose Fulbright, where he focused his practice on complex commercial litigation.Download Bio (PDF)
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a major oil and gas company in a $150 million fraud and breach of contract action brought by purchasers of the company’s petrochemical complex.
- Defended a minerals acquisition company in an arbitration hearing before the American Arbitration Association, in which a FINRA-registered broker-dealer brought breach of contract and quantum meruit claims.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a medical billing and collections company in a case brought by a cardiovascular hospital in which the hospital alleged breach of contract.
- Defended a third-party oilfield tubular service and accessory provider in a products liability action brought after a blowout at an oil well operated by the plaintiffs.
- Represented a major bank in a pre-foreclosure action, including drafting the petition and coordinating the valuation of the property at issue.
- Tried a three-week bench trial in a pro bono matter with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, in which plaintiffs challenged Waller County, Texas’s election practices. The case is still pending in the Southern District of Texas.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
State Bar of Texas