Vani Singhal is a trial lawyer whose practice is focused on complex litigation in state and federal courts, specifically pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. She has extensive experience in developing defense strategy; preparing and presenting experts and company representatives for deposition; taking depositions of medical experts, treating physicians, plaintiffs and fact witnesses; drafting Daubert and dispositive motions; and negotiating voluntary dismissals and favorable settlements. Her clients include manufacturers and distributors of pharmaceuticals and medical devices, as well as manufacturers and distributors of other commercial products, and physicians and dentists.
She has significant experience representing manufacturers and distributors of insulation and friction products in asbestos litigation. She has also represented automotive companies in products liability matters involving child restraint issues.
Vani has presented at national conferences and authored articles on developments in drug and device litigation. She is a 2005 graduate of the International Association of Defense Counsel’s Trial Academy, chaired the Diversity Committee of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, served on the Judicial Nominating committee for the City of Tulsa Municipal Court, and is active in her community.
Her achievements as a trial lawyer have earned her inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (mass tort litigation/class actions – defendants) and Oklahoma Super Lawyers.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft, Vani worked as a trial lawyer at two other Oklahoma-based law firms and the Chicago law office of Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney.Download Bio (PDF)
- Oklahoma counsel for a leading manufacturer of surgical robots handling all aspects of the litigation, including taking depositions of treating physicians and experts, writing successful removal and dismissal motions, and negotiating nominal settlement.
- Oklahoma counsel for manufacturer of generic pain medication, including drafting successful removal motions and motions to dismiss under federal preemption and for lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Oklahoma counsel for pharmaceutical manufacturer and investigator regarding a clinical trial, including handling investigation, taking depositions of treating physicians, and negotiating dismissal.
- Oklahoma counsel in national cancer drug litigation, including development of defense strategy; taking numerous depositions of oncologists, oral surgeons and dentists; and drafting successful Daubert motions, summary judgment motions on issues such as lack of proximate cause evidence and statute of limitations, and motions for costs.
- Represent several medical device manufacturers, including cardiac, orthopedic and respiratory device manufacturers, in product liability actions in state and federal courts. Successful with removal, discovery and summary judgment motions, exclusion of experts under Daubert, mediation, and nominal settlements.
- Oklahoma counsel in various multi-district litigation matters, including pain pump, hormone therapy and pelvic mesh, including drafting successful removal and discovery motions.
- Served on national counsel team representing physicians across the country in national Fen-Phen diet drug litigation resulting in indemnity agreements, voluntary dismissals, and nominal settlements. Coordinated and developed defense and discovery strategy in hundreds of cases in multiple jurisdictions.
- Obtained voluntary dismissals and summary judgment for lack of sufficient product identification evidence in numerous asbestos lawsuits.
- Oklahoma counsel for leading manufacturer of industrial equipment and obtained discovery orders limiting scope of 30(b)(6) depositions and document production requests.
- Oklahoma counsel in class action for manufacturer of a fiber used in bullet-resistant vests resulting in national settlement.
- Represent psychiatrists and dentists in professional liability actions, including an active motion practice resulting in numerous summary judgments, dismissals, and the exclusion of expert witnesses under Daubert.
- Represented hospital and physicians in internal hospital peer review hearings resulting in successful resolution.
- Represented gas company in proceedings to prevent inspection of multimillion-dollar natural gas well.
- Represented power and gas line companies in eminent domain actions from inception to trial, including preparation of expert real estate appraiser witnesses for deposition and trial.
- Obtained defense verdict for a prosthetic manufacturer in small claims trial.
- Second chaired trial and obtained high six-figure verdict for disabled individual in personal injury lawsuit against a nursing home.
- Pro bono representation of children in abuse and neglect proceedings, including trial to terminate parental rights.
Honors and Awards
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (mass tort litigation/class actions – defendants)
- Listed in Oklahoma Super Lawyers
- Named to Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Top 25 Women Lawyers”
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
- Recognized as a Star Award honoree by Leadership Tulsa (2013)
- Named to Oklahoma Magazine’s 40 Under 40 list of outstanding young professionals (2009)
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Tulsa County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Tulsa Lawyers for Children (Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney)
- Oklahoma Bar Association High School Mock Trial Program (Volunteer Judge)
- Foundation for Jenks Public Schools (Board of Directors Member, Governance Committee Chair and Advocacy Task Force Chair)
- India Association of Greater Tulsa (Board of Directors Founding Member)
- Tulsa Children’s Museum (Steering Committee Member and former Board of Directors Founding Member)
- Georgetown University Alumni Association (Volunteer Interviewer)
- Legal Aid of Oklahoma (Attorney Fundraising Committee Former Member)
- Girl Scouts (Troop Leader and Board of Directors Former Member)
- Women Impacting Tulsa (Former Chair and Founding Member)
- YWCA of Tulsa (Board of Directors Former Member)