Vickie Buchanan is a corporate lawyer whose practice encompasses a broad range of business matters, including advising and representing public and private companies in all phases of their business existence, commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, real estate projects, entity formation and organization, contracts, business restructuring, and day-to-day counseling.
Vickie dedicates a substantial portion of her practice to representing and advising Native American tribes on various tribal and non-tribal legal and business matters. She has represented tribes in numerous real estate transactions, acquisitions and mergers, private equity investments and other investments, and in matters involving governance, property transfers from fee-to-trust land, and tax. She has also assisted tribes with the diversification of tribal resources and business lines, and with wholly-owned tribal subsidiaries on organizational and corporate governance matters.
Her work in the area of government incentives has resulted in the development of special expertise and experience in general economic development law, community development finance, and structuring private equity transactions to qualify for tax incentives, including New Markets Tax Credits (NMTCs), federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credits, and tax increment finance (TIF) districts.
Vickie has played a key role in a significant number of high-profile commercial projects throughout the region. Notable projects include: NMTC financing of Embassy Suites Oklahoma City Downtown/Medical Center, situated close to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City; tax credit financing of the new home of the Oklahoma City University School of Law near downtown Oklahoma City; and creation of new TIF district in Garfield County, Oklahoma, for a $1.2 billion expansion project.
In addition, a portion of her practice is devoted to counseling companies engaged in highly regulated industries on a broad range of operational, transactional, environmental and regulatory compliance matters. Much of her work in this area is concentrated on the manufacturing, transportation, and midstream and downstream energy industries where she frequently advises clients on issues such as operations and maintenance procedures, security regulations and programs, environmental programs and compliance, risk management, SCADA systems, records and information management, workplace health and safety, federal transportation regulations and emergency response.
Vickie is also an AV-rated trial lawyer who has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in state, federal and tribal courts. She has extensive experience as a trial lawyer handling a broad range of commercial litigation and arbitration. Her experience includes representing public and private companies in complex business cases, eminent domain cases, class action and multiple-party lawsuits, and disputes involving oil and gas, environmental, real estate, banking and securities, insurance, products liability and mass torts. Her litigation clients have included major U.S. energy companies, corporations, manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, financial institutions and investment firms.
In addition to her active practice, Vickie also chairs the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Vickie’s achievements have earned her inclusion in Oklahoma Super Lawyers’ list of “Oklahoma Rising Stars,” which recognizes the state’s top up-and-coming attorneys. In 2012, Vickie was recognized as the “Attorney of the Year’ by the Central Oklahoma Association of Legal Assistants for her ongoing efforts in supporting the paralegal profession.
Vickie earned a bachelor’s degree in English and criminal justice from Northeastern State University and a Juris Doctor, with distinction, from the University of Oklahoma College of Law. While pursuing her law degree, she studied at Queen’s College in Oxford, England, for one summer, worked as an intern for the Juvenile Division of the Oklahoma City Public Defender’s Office, and clerked at law firms during the school year focusing on corporate practice.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 2007, Vickie was a partner and director at another law firm in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.Download Bio (PDF)
- Regional representation of major corporations in class action, multiple party and tort litigation, including products liability cases involving automobiles, pharmaceutical products and other products.
- Obtained a favorable result for a major investment company and a broker in a FINRA arbitration in which the three-person panel entered an award finding that the claimant’s allegations of negligence were false and that the broker did not intentionally commit fraud or any other willful misconduct. In addition, the claim was expunged from the broker’s CRD record.
- Negotiated a favorable global settlement on behalf of an energy holding company in a series of lawsuits arising out of its purchase of assets of several oilfield service businesses. The client alleged business torts against the sellers and associated employees who engaged in unfair competition after the sale.
- Successfully contested a commissioner’s award in a multi-million dollar condemnation dispute with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation and secured a confidential settlement for the client which ranks as one of the largest in Oklahoma state history.
- Obtained a substantial jury verdict plus attorneys’ fees and expert witness fees on behalf of the owners of an office building in an unusually complex condemnation case that involved the use of sound modeling and sound measurements to estimate the impact that a pending highway expansion project by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would have on the tenants of the client’s building.
- Obtained summary judgment for Oklahoma Goodwill Industries, Inc. in a class action lawsuit alleging violation of the Oklahoma Minimum Wage Act.
Honors and Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Ratings
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Leadership Edmond (Class XXI)
- Crossings Community Church (Volunteer)