At The Podium
Conflicts of Interest: Recent Developments
Providing practical compliance tactics for practicing attorneys is the focus of the National Business Institute’s “Legal Ethics: Hot Topics and Current Events” seminar in Oklahoma City, OK, on December 17, 2013. Jodi Dishman, a trial lawyer with McAfee & Taft, is the featured guest presenter on two timely topics.
In her presentation titled “Conflicts of Interest: Recent Developments,” Dishman discusses the importance and necessity of conducting thorough conflict checks for the purposes of determining disqualification issues, avoiding professional negligence claims, avoiding malpractice, in hiring new counsel.
In her presentation titled “Attorneys Changing Firm Affiliations,” Dishman reviews the broad range of legal and ethical issues that must be considered when lawyers move their practices from one firm to another. Specific topics include:
- Law firm closures
- Dealing with the loss of an attorney in the firm
- Notifying clients of a lawyer’s change in affiliation
- Transfer of client files to the new legal representative(s)
- Using firm names and letterheads
- Presumption that a lawyer had the confidences of all of a firm’s clients before leaving the firm
Embassy Suites Hotel
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma