At The Podium
Daunting, but Doable: Preparing for the next round of HIPAA audits
In 2012, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights launched a HIPAA pilot audit program targeting covered entities nationwide. When the results of those audits showed that a majority of entities failed in their compliance efforts, they announced a second, more expansive, round of audits for 2016 – this time targeting both covered entities and business associates. Are you prepared to be audited?
During this complimentary webinar, McAfee & Taft healthcare attorney Patricia Rogers highlights the lessons learned from the initial round of audits, review the scope and timeline of the forthcoming 2016 audits, and provide practical advice for maintaining compliance and preparing for a possible audit. Topics covered include:
- Why the increased scrutiny by the OCR?
- Who is likely to be audited?
- Desk audits v. on-site audits
- Key compliance areas for HIPAA security, privacy and breach notification
- Audit countdown and preparation checklist
- Why conducting a risk analysis/assessment is an absolute “must do”
- Actual audit inquiries for risk assessments and other key areas