Webinars & Seminars
Healthcare Industry Webinar: Stark Reality — Navigating the requirements for fair market value in physician compensation arrangements
Elizabeth D. Tyrrell
Patricia A. Rogers
While Stark law generally prohibits physicians from making referrals to entities with which they have a financial relationship, the strict liability statute does provide a number of exceptions that apply to physician compensation arrangements. Navigating the law can be extremely complex, though. And as a number of recent qui tam lawsuits have shown, failure to comply with these federal regulations can result in multimillion-dollar judgments.
During this one-hour complimentary webinar, McAfee & Taft healthcare attorneys Elizabeth D. Tyrrell and Patricia A. Rogers discuss the statutory and regulatory framework and case law related to physician compensation arrangements, explain how the courts have interpreted the concept of “fair market value,” and provide practical advice for avoiding costly litigation, damages and penalties. Joining them in the discussion is special guest Jen Johnson, a partner with VMG Health, a recognized national leader in providing valuation solutions to the healthcare industry.
Specific topics covered include:
- Overview of the physician self-referral prohibition under Stark law
- Stark law regulatory exceptions
- “Fair market value” defined
- Insights from recent case law about FMV, commercial reasonableness, and “taking into account” the volume or value of referrals
- Practical advice for structuring compensation arrangements
- Obtaining and scrutinizing independent FMV valuations
- Engaging the valuation consultant under attorney/client privilege
Join us for the LIVE BROADCAST on Wednesday, June 25, 2014, from noon to 1pm (Central). There is no cost to participate.
Please register below to receive access information for the live broadcast. Registration closes at NOON on Tuesday, June 24th. Registration is now closed. You can still watch the webinar at the link below.