Webinars & Seminars
EmployerLINC Webinar: After DOMA — Understanding new laws, guidance regarding the treatment of same-sex spouses in the workplace
When the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a key section of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) as being unconstitutional, the impact of the ruling quickly spread to the workplace. With the terms “marriage” and “spouse” re-defined, certain benefits and protections that once were only extended to opposite-sex spouses are now available to same-sex spouses.
While some guidance from the federal agencies impacted by the decision, including the Internal Revenue Service and U.S. Department of Labor, has been forthcoming – albeit murky at times – many questions still remain.
During this one-hour complimentary webinar, employee benefits attorneys Bill Freudenrich and Brandon Long and labor and employment attorney Charlie Plumb unravel the landmark Supreme Court decision and subsequent guidance that has been issued by federal agencies, discuss the ruling’s possible wider-reaching implications, and provide employers with insights and practice advice for implementing the new rules in the workplace.
Topics covered include:
- What the Supreme Court ruling in United States v. Windsor did … and didn’t do
- What the ruling means for Oklahoma employers regarding both employee benefit plans and employment laws
- How new agency guidance will impact the operation of employer-sponsored health and retirement plans
- The ruling’s effect on COBRA obligations
- Administering FMLA spousal leave and why your state of residence matters
- Practical and legal challenges for multi-state employers
- Effective dates for the implementation of new guidance
- What employers need to be doing right now to ensure compliance while they wait for further federal guidance
- Looking around: A quick look at how Fortune 500 companies are responding
- Looking forward: Is a prohibition against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity on the horizon?
Join us for the LIVE BROADCAST on Wednesday, January 22, 2014, from noon to 1pm (Central). There is no cost to participate.
Please register below to receive access information for the live broadcast as well as to sign up for HRCI credit, if interested. Registration closes at NOON on Tuesday, January 21st. Registration is now closed.
This program has been approved for 1.0 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Registration prior to the live event is required to receive HRCI credit for this webinar. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute’s criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.