Webinars & Seminars
Firings and Layoffs in ’09: Legal Lessons for Employers
From the beleaguered auto industry to mortgage companies and banks to massive retailers, American employers are being forced to lay off hundreds of thousands of employees. Done poorly, these "cost-cutting" measures can result in devastating litigation. After cutting 10% of its workforce, Dell Inc. now faces a $500 million lawsuit from female executives and older employees who say they were disproportionately affected by the downsizing.
Learn how to conduct terminations without inviting a lawsuit by participating in the all-new HR Hero audio conference, Firings and Layoffs in ’09: Legal Lessons for Employers. In just 90 minutes, employment law attorneys experienced in RIFs and wrongful discharge matters will guide you through downsizing dos and don’ts such as:
- How to comply with the WARN Act and still execute a reduction in force in the most efficient and painless way possible
- Real-life examples of RIFs conducted with care — and poorly executed ones
- The common types of legal claims being brought against employers by downsized employees
- The types of ERISA suits that should concern HR
- Examples of sound strategies for executing a reduction in force
- Alternatives to large-scale RIFs, including creative ways to use part-timers, independent contractors, unpaid leaves of absence, etc.
- Potential legal hazards when using contractors and converting full-time staff to part-time employees
- Pros and cons of job cuts made through early retirement offers, eliminations through attrition, and voluntary buyouts
Firings and Layoffs in ’09: Legal Lessons for Employers is just $237.
You risk nothing by registering because HRhero.com will refund every penny, no questions asked, if you are in any way dissatisfied with this audio conference.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HRCI of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HRCIs criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
CREDIT INFORMATION: This program has been approved for 1.5 recertification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at http://www.hrci.org/.
Your Audio Conference Leaders
Charles S. Plumb represents management in all phases of employment law and labor relations. Much of his practice is dedicated to counseling employers on compliance with a broad range of state and federal employment laws and regulations and educating management on best practices for avoiding disputes arising from the employer/employee relationship.
He also has extensive litigation experience before federal and state courts, regulatory and administrative agencies, and in arbitration matters involving claims of discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliatory discharge, breach of contract, and constitutional law violations.
A few days before the audio conference, you’ll receive a brief summary so you can hit the ground running.
After the presentation, you’ll be able to call in with questions, which your speakers will answer on the spot.
For a small additional charge, HRhero.com will send you a CD of the audio conference — available 3 days after the live event. You can listen to it again or share it with co-workers. Or, if you can’t listen to the audio conference live, you can order the CD with streaming audio access by itself.