At The Podium
HR’s Guide to Leave Management: How to Avoid Legal Headaches When Coordinating FMLA Leave
Confusion surrounding FMLA intermittent leave is consistently one of HR’s biggest headaches. Employers struggle with figuring out how to provide the leave guaranteed under the law without putting undue burdens on themselves. That’s a struggle that’s bedeviled employers since the law went into effect nearly two decades ago.
During this live webinar, attorney Charlie Plumb provides tips to identify, correct, and prevent FMLA compliance problems so you can effectively manage all intermittent leave issues.
- An overview of FMLA, including what it is, what it covers, and what it does not cover
- Best practices for having to work with intermittent absences and count them as FMLA leave
- The most frequently made errors when it comes to making mistakes with intermittent leave and how to avoid them
- Tips for communicating with your employees: what you can ask for in terms of updates, how often you can ask, and how to maintain good relationships even when asking probing questions
- How often you can ask for medical updates when an employee is using intermittent leave
- Best practices for handling chronic conditions
- An examination of potential retaliation risks that arise from leave management, such as the denial of job-protected leave and handling return-to-work issues
- When it’s safe to challenge intermittent leave, and how to make sure you have the backup to support your decision
- When it’s a smart — and legal — move to transfer or reassign a worker to another position
- How to run a fair ship without opening up your company to liability
- And more!