McAfee & Taft releases report regarding independent investigation into Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
Full report available to publicOctober 3, 2019
The law firm of McAfee & Taft has released a Report regarding its independent investigation into how the Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City handled and responded to allegations of sexual abuse of minors by priests dating back to the 1960s.
The firm, which was retained by the Archdiocese, issued its 77-page Report Thursday.
The Report identifies 11 priests who faced substantiated allegations of sexual abuse of minors between 1960 and 2018. The Report also includes recommendations to the Archdiocese moving forward.
The Report is available at archokcreport.com.
“The Archdiocese wanted a comprehensive, thorough, independent investigation; McAfee & Taft provided precisely that,” said Ronald T. Shinn Jr., the attorney who led the investigation. “It should be noted the Archdiocese was under no obligation to initiate this outside investigation, and that by doing so, it subjected itself to independent review and criticism of its past actions. While this investigation and our Report address difficult and painful issues, we hope the public will commend the Archdiocese’s transparency and accountability.”
“As detailed in the Report, some of the key findings of our investigation were the Archdiocese conducted inconsistent and inadequate investigations into past allegations of sexual abuse of minors, failed to follow its own policies and procedures in some instances, and had inadequate recordkeeping policies and systems that made it difficult to make informed decisions,” Shinn said.
- Engaging a qualified independent investigator to review allegations of sexual abuse of minors and report to the Archdiocesan Review Board
- Taking steps to improve recordkeeping regarding allegations of abuse
- Implementing a written record-retention policy and acquiring a more robust recordkeeping system
- Publicly reporting the findings and actions of the Archdiocese when it makes decisions relating to allegations of sexual abuse of minors
- Clarifying that all Archdiocesan personnel should immediately report any concerns about the sexual abuse of minors
In addition to the Report, the firm prepared a list of questions and answers, which are also available at archokcreport.com/#questions.
About McAfee & Taft
With more than 180 attorneys and offices in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Springfield, McAfee & Taft is one of the nation’s top 250 law firms as ranked by National Law Journal.