Webinars & Seminars
Medical Marijuana: Maintaining a safe workplace
More than a year after Oklahoma voters approved a ballot initiative legalizing medical marijuana, new rules and regulations issued under the recently signed Oklahoma Medical Marijuana and Patient Protection Act are set to go into effect later this summer, impacting employers and employees alike. Previously known as the “Unity Bill,” the law resolves some uncertainty that remained after the passage of the original law and also provides employers with more tools to manage medical marijuana and maintain control over their workplaces.
In this complimentary one-hour webinar, McAfee & Taft labor and employment attorneys Charlie Plumb, Paul Ross and Kirk Turner update employers on their rights and responsibilities under the Act, address what steps employers must take to take advantage of the new “safety-sensitive position” exemption, and provide practical advice for maintaining both legal compliance and a safe workplace.
- The rights of employees who hold medical marijuana licenses and applicable employment protections
- Whether employers must accommodate medical marijuana usage in the workplace
- How Oklahoma’s medical marijuana law affects employers that have federally regulated employees or that are government contractors
- Medical marijuana and employees who hold safety-sensitive positions
- Recommended changes to current policies and substance testing processes
- Educating your workforce about the new law
- Training supervisors so they understand the new law and can assist with managing medical marijuana issues in the workplace
This complimentary webinar will be available for on-demand viewing on Wednesday, May 15, 2019. Please pre-register below to receive access information for the webinar as well as to sign up for certification credit, if interested. NOTE: Pre-registration closes at noon on Tuesday, May 14th.
This program has been pre-approved for 1.0 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about HRCI certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
McAfee & Taft is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about SHRM certification or recertification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.