Webinars & Seminars
New Guidance on American Rescue Plan’s (too complicated) free COBRA
Yesterday, the U.S. Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued more than 40 pages and 86 frequently asked questions regarding the free COBRA required by the American Rescue Plan (ARP). In this live video broadcast, McAfee & Taft employee benefits attorneys Brandon Long, Judy Burdg, and Lake Moore will update you on this new guidance including:
- Overview of the free COBRA required by the ARP
- Overview of the COBRA premium assistance credit for employers
- Who qualifies as an “Assistance Eligible Individual”?
- What disqualifies an otherwise Assistance Eligible Individual from the free COBRA coverage
- Can an individual become an Assistance Eligible Individual more than once?
- Records employers will need to obtain and keep in order to substantiate entitlement to the credit
- What circumstances constitute an involuntary termination of employment?
- Does involuntary termination of employment include involuntary termination of employment for cause?
- Is free COBRA available for vision-only and dental-only plans?
- Is free COBRA available under health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs)?
- Issues related to individuals who potentially qualify for the free COBRA coverage – who were lost coverage before April 1, 2021
- Calculation of COBRA premium assistance credit
This free webcast will be broadcast live beginning at 10:30am (Central) on Friday, May 21, 2021. No registration is required. HRCI and SHRM credit will not be available for this event. The recorded webcast will be available on our website within an hour after broadcast.