Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
McAfee & Taft represents public and private buyers and sellers, target companies, financial advisors and institutions, lenders, and committees of independent directors in merger and acquisition transactions of all sizes, complexity and sophistication. We have broad experience in transactions both domestically and internationally. We frequently advise clients in negotiating the sales and acquisitions of public and private companies, as well as company divisions and major properties; tender offers and the development of defensive strategies for targeted companies; “going private” transactions and leveraged buy-outs; and the development of innovative financing structures for all such transactions.
Our experience in merger and acquisition transactions includes:
- Stock and asset purchases and sales
- Tender offers
- Securities exchange offers
- Takeover defensive strategies
- Leveraged acquisitions and recapitalizations
- Management and leveraged buyouts
- “Going private” transactions
- Proxy contests
- Roll-ups and consolidations
- Reorganizations and restructurings
- Auctions of public and private companies
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
We also routinely advise directors of their fiduciary duties, the application of the business judgment rule, and other issues relating to their transactional liability.
To achieve the desired legal solutions for our clients, we regularly draw upon the depth of talent and expertise of McAfee & Taft attorneys in other practice areas – such as tax, antitrust, intellectual property, real estate, environmental, labor and employment and employee benefits law – to carefully and proactively address all aspects of a merger, acquisition or divestiture.