Intellectual Property Litigation
McAfee & Taft’s Intellectual Property Group has the proven track record, technical and legal expertise and experience to represent clients in all intellectual property litigation matters involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and licensing issues.
Our proven track record includes the successful representation of clients in matters before numerous federal courts, the U.S. Patent and Trademark office and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Our intellectual property trial lawyers regularly practice before all federal district courts in Oklahoma, including the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma, located in Oklahoma City; the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, located in Tulsa; and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma, located in Muskogee.
Representative examples of McAfee & Taft’s expertise and recent success in intellectual property litigation include the following matters:
- Represented a grinding product manufacturer in defense of a claim of patent infringement resulting in a jury verdict of invalidity, a finding of inequitable conduct and a finding for the client on its claim of tortious interference of business relationships in an amount in excess of $2.1 million.
- Represented an inventor in patent infringement litigation involving a heart catheter resulting in a jury verdict for the client in excess of $14,000,000.
- Represented a publisher of a magazine in a lawsuit against a competing magazine for copyright infringement, false advertisement, deceptive trade practices and unfair competition, resulting in jury trial and judgment in excess of $1,000,000 for our client.
- Representation of valve manufacturer in obtaining summary judgment of claims of patent infringement. Affirmed on appeal.
- Represented the patent owner of a trailer design in a patent infringement case, resulting in a finding of patent validity and a jury verdict of infringement and judgment in the amount of $2,165,253.
- Represented a manufacturer of industrial equipment in a patent infringement case, resulting in a finding of patent validity and a jury verdict of infringement and judgment in the amount of $1,583,202.
- Obtained summary judgment in defending a retailer against a manufacturer that alleged retailer’s photo albums infringed the trade dress of manufacturer’s competing photo albums.
- Represented chemical manufacturer in successful trial patent appeal in Australia.
- Represented the patent owner in a patent infringement case involving a new drug and in negotiating the settlement of the case.
- Represented parties in patent hearings, administrative proceedings and depositions in several foreign countries.
- Represented patent holders in cases involving patents for oil and gas completion, chemicals, mechanical devices, electrical products, medical/surgical devices and equipment, dental instruments, business methods, computer software, recreational equipment and other products.
- Defended a distributor of processed food from a trademark infringement action designed to block the client’s nationwide rollout of a new line of competing frozen food.
- Launched a nationwide enforcement program to protect an over-the-counter pain medication from trademark and trade dress infringement by competitors.
- Prosecuted a trade dress infringement case to halt production of a competitor’s infringing oilfield valves and regulators.
- Prosecuted a trade dress and trade secret case on behalf of a leading manufacturer of medical/athletic wraps against a former employee.