At The Podium
Preparing for the Radical Change in Overtime Law
Charles S. Plumb
On May 17, 2016, the U.S. Department of Labor released its long-awaited new Fair Labor Standards Act overtime regulations, which are set to go into effect on December 1, 2016. For many employers, these major rule changes could significantly impact their payroll and operations.
While speaking at the Broken Arrow Chamber of Commerce’s May Lunch and Learn, McAfee & Taft labor and employment attorney Charlie Plumb reviews the changes to the FLSA’s white collar exemption rules and discusses the steps employers should be taking now to prepare for the December 1 deadline. Topics include:
- Why the change now?
- Review of new overtime regulations affecting white collar exemptions
- Determining whether an employee is exempt or non-exempt
- Evaluating the impact of the new regulations
- Strategies for better managing and controlling overtime
- How to educate employees on the new overtime rules
- The consequences on non-compliance