At The Podium
Sweepstakes, Contests and Not Gambling
Businesses and organizations frequently use promotional sweepstakes, contests, drawings and other prize giveaways as a way to attract and retain customers and followers, but when are such promotional activities considered unlawful — even gambling — under state or federal law?
McAfee & Taft intellectual property lawyer Zach Oubre discusses the prevalence of prize giveaways in today’s digital age and provides practical guidance for how to avoid running an illegal operation in his presentation titled “Sweepstakes, Contest and NOT Gambling.” Topics include:
- What constitutes an unlawful lottery?
- Penalties for running an unlawful lottery
- Consumer protection pitfalls under state and federal law
- General information required for contests and sweepstakes
- FTC regulation of online and social media advertising