At The Podium
Transgender, sexual orientation and stereotyping issues in the workplace
Roberta B. Fields
Charles S. Plumb
In recent years, employers have been faced with an increasing number of issues related to gender identity, sexual orientation and sexual stereotyping involving members of their workforces.
During this one-hour complimentary webinar, McAfee & Taft labor and employment attorneys Roberta Fields and Charlie Plumb provide an overview of Title VII, discuss the evolution of federal and state laws prohibiting sex and gender discrimination, review the important court cases that set the stage for the current shifts in position and policy, and discuss employer best practices for maintaining a welcoming workplace while avoiding discrimination litigation.
- Overview of federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Why the EEOC interprets Title VII to cover sexual orientation and gender identity
- Current trends in sex and gender discrimination litigation
- What the U.S. Supreme Court has said about sexual stereotyping and same-sex harassment
- Why the Department of Justice has stepped in to prosecute a transgender discrimination case in Oklahoma
- How to recognize and avoid sexual stereotyping
- Practical issues for accommodating transsexual/transgender employees in the workplace, including the use of restrooms and locker rooms